Tuesday, August 7, 2012

OLYMPICS IN EMEKA'S SHOP

Our generator always packed up whenever there was something important to do with it. It was the Olympic night and our generator had packed up again. There was no way I could watch the opening ceremony, and I had heard a day before that an estimated one billion people would watch the ceremony. I sat alone, brooding over it when I heard the rough sound of a generator. I dashed out of the compound to know whose generator it was. It was Emeka's generation, three houses away. I thought about it: Emeka could not reject me. I had been his Yoruba friend for over a year and a valued customer at that.
Emeka's shop was the largest drug and variety shop in the whole estate, with iron bars protecting its entrance. It looked like a prison. When I got to there, there were two men sitting inside. I called on Emeka.
"Emeka!" I called. He came out. His Ama Kip Kip shone under the bright white bulb.
"Victor," he said "how far na?"
"Emeka, abeg, shey you dey show that Olympic opening ceremony."
"Yes na!" He said as he unlocked the iron gate.
"Hope market dey go well?" I entered the shop. I greeted the two men already seated. I sat beside them. My face was glued to the small Sharp television. The ceremony had already started. The artificial cloud, beds, village were also there, with people dancing and singing. Also, Harry Potter author, J.K. Rowling read an except from the famous British book, Peter Pan. I also saw Harry Potter's Voldemort. It was lovely. Despite the amount of mosquitoes feasting on my leg, I didn't move. I was amazed. I was amazed at the way a whole stadium was turned into a village, hospital, a big factory and musical stage. I just had to wonder.
"No African country can host the Olympics oo," said one of the men. I watched them as they argued it out.
"Tell me one African country that has all these resources and facilities, tell me." The other man said.
"South Africa can host it now. They have all these facilities."
"Oh! What about Nigeria?"
"Oh please"
I didn't look at them. They were old enough to be my uncles. They both looked at me. They had probably thought I would say something about the issue, but I kept mum.
It was as if I had seen a ghost when Mr Bean appeared on the screen, performing "Chariots of Fire" with the London Symphony Orchestra. I was amazed. Emeka and the other two men opened their mouths, dazzled. Mr Bean was a funny character whose movies I had watched when I was younger. My father used to call him "The Baba Suwe of London". His real name was Rowan Atkinson. The ceremony continued and the mosquitoes in Emeka's shop were in their season of songs, singing to my ears.
People from different countries started coming out with different attires and flags. The Greek delegation opened the floor. I did not even know countries like Coke Island, Fiji and Liechtenstein existed until that night. Everyone in the shop was waiting for Nigeria's turn to be called. The letter "N" was still far. As soon as Nigeria was called, I adjusted my posture. The Nigerian team started dancing like a freed prisoner. The flag bearer, in his green cap and white buba, was in front flaunting the green and white flag of Nigeria. Other members, male and female, danced as if they were in a burial ceremony. The females amongst them, in their green head gears and white skirts and blouses, could not hide their joy as they banged their legs on the ground of the Olympic Stadium. The men also danced, some wore sun shades, others did not. None of them danced Azonto, I was disappointed.
"But no be sun shade be that?" Emeka said.
"Na so we see am o." I said, wondering how they could have worn a sun shade at night.
"Our people sha," said of the men, "how can he put on a sun shade at night?"
We looked on. David Beckham, a footballer, my kid brother's hero, appeared on a boat with the Olympic touch. He passed it to one old white man. The man, amidst cheers, carried the Olympic touch into the stadium and passed it to six British athletes who lit up the Olympic Cauldron, pointing to the sky above the stadium. Later, the Queen of England, Queen Elizabeth 2, declared the Olympics open. She said, "I declare open the Games of London, celebrating the 30th Olympiad of the modern era."
Fireworks flew out of the stadium to the sky in different colours and sizes. I could not be more satisfied.
As I was about going home, Emeka said, "We go see wetin Nigeria go bring come home."

---Victor Olusanya

No comments:

Post a Comment